Saturday, November 13, 2010

Let me introduce myself

Hello my name is Early Ray....sorta.

My birth name is Rayen Belchere and I am a musician. I've been a professional musician all my adult life. 8 years ago I quit the band I was in and decided to pursue a solo career. I've done quite well but there has only been one thing that always seems to hold me back.

The one problem I've always had is my name. I love it but it's become painfully obvious over the years that it's impossible to market and for most folks it's hard to remember. Folks either misspell, mispronounce, or just fuck it up. I can't tell you how many times I've had friends tell me their friends would look me up but couldn't remember how to say or spell my name. Or how many adds have me listed as Ryan Blechere. Or Radio guys that call me Ragan, Raymon, Ryan, Rain, etc etc.. Don't even get me started on the endless fuckups of my last name. So with a unique first and last name you can imagine how much time I spend teaching people how to say my name correctly.  This is a big problem when you're trying to promote your art with said weird hard to pronounce name.

Most musicians and actors with this problem change their name to a stage name that's an easier name to market. IE Bob Dyan was born Robert Zimmerman and Lady Gaga was born Stefani Germanotta etc etc.

So here I am. I knew that I would come to this bridge someday. I'm starting over in a sense with a new cd, new music, new manager etc etc. So I thought this would be a good time to put my music under a more marketable umbrella.

My name is Rayen Earl Belchere the Earl comes from my Grandfather. When I was young and would come in from a long day of fishing with my grandfather my grandmother would always say. "Look! It's Earl and Early Ray". She would combine my first and middle name to this cute nickname.

So when I was thinking of a new name to put my music out as this came as a no brainer. I wanted this new name to have meaning and have a realness. Not just some random made up name. So on Feb 17th 2011 my next cd will be released and it will be as Early Ray.

For the record. I am not having an identity crisis and am not suddenly gonna demand to be called Early, Earl, Ray or whatever. Just when you tell your friends about my music you now have a simpler name for you and them to remember. With that being said. When you speak to me in person you can call me whatever you'd like.

If you are a friend please don't be the "cool" person that mocks the idea and say stupid shit in an attempt to be funny. If you're my friend then you've been there when my names been messed up and I hope you support this and have my back. 

I will be writing in this blog often with updates, stories, and random thoughts on my life. I hope you check in from time to time.  

I am starting over in a way. I look forward to the adventure. I look forward to the new friends I will make and the new faces. A rebirth of sorts has been in order for quite a while.

Welcome to the rebirth.
Early Ray

1 comment:

  1. YAY! I'm so glad you're blogging again! I miss the days of reading your 3am myspace blogs! Love you and I'm excited for all your new adventures! PS. I got you some christmas tree cakes ;)

    ReplyDelete