Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Lifting weights with The Rock!

Ok so many years ago I lived in L.A close to Venice Beach. I worked out at the worlds most famous gym (Venice Beach Golds Gym) and it was common to see celebrities in there working out. One of the unwritten rules of the gym was that you didn't bother celebrities. I saw many movie stars etc in there working out but I never broke the rule of chatting with em.
So I notice that the wrestler The Rock was working out and it it seemed that we were on the same workout schedule (everyday at 1pm) anyway.. Near the free weights there was a row of benches and we often would end up working out there. A few times we exchanged nods and would wait for machines after each other.
One day I was watching the college world series in between reps (the gym had a bunch of tvs up) and I was proudly wearing my Gamecock gear.  The Rock sees me and says "So ya'll gonna win that thing or what" I knew immediately he was referring to The Gamecocks and we then had a quick chat about college sports and he told me he was a big Hurricane and we both chatted for a sec about our teams.
Then a few days later as I was struggling to get up some free weights i see a guy appear behind me and start coaching me to "get em up, you got this" and I was shocked to see it was The Rock so I couldn't look like no fool so I got the weight up. After the rep he smiled at me and said "I hear ya Gamecock" and went back to his workout. I was pretty pumped to have just gotten spotted by The Rock.
So for the next couple months when we'd see each other we'd smile and nod and occasionally chat about southern college ball. It was weird. I had a gym buddy who would later go on to be a famous movie star, though at the time he was still a wrestler trying to break into movies.
So tonight I turn on the tv and the WWE is on and The Rock is on there doing his thing and for  a sec it took me back 10 year ago to Venice Beach Golds Gym. Though he puts on a crazy bad ass mofo vibe on tv he's a good guy who came to save the day when I was struggling with 40 pound free weights.. Cool to reflect tonight on that story.

"Gamecock"

No comments:

Post a Comment